Winpdb is a platform independent GPL Python debugger with support for multiple threads, namespace modification, embedded debugging, encrypted communication and is up to 20 times faster than pdb.
Winpdb is being developed by Nir Aides since 2005.
Their Educated Opinion
- Ryan Paul of Ars Technica - When I require a Python debugger, for instance, I’m perfectly satisfied with using an external tool like Winpdb.
- Ondrej Certik, founder of SymPy - I debug … using a wonderful tool winpdb.
- Elliot Murphy, engineer at Canonical - One other option for a GUI python debugger is the free (and Free), cross platform, totally awesome Winpdb.
- Prof. Norm Matlof of UC Davis - The Winpdb package, by Nir Aides, is an excellent Python debugger.
Some Technical Details:
- GPL license. Winpdb is Free Software.
- Compatible with CPython 2.x and Python 3.x.
- Platform independent, and tested on Ubuntu Gutsy and Windows XP.
- User Interface: rpdb2 is console based, winpdb requires wxPython 2.6 or later.
And a Screenshot
Winpdb debugging itself. The fabric of the universe remained intact: